August 9, 2009

My G.I.Joe review...

So, I got together and saw the G.I. Joe movie today. And the people that I was with thought it was better than the recent "Star Trek" movie. I don't think I'd agree with that, as I remember people were clapping at the end of that movie in our theater. But I don't think G.I.Joe sucked either. I think it was pretty good. I was entertained. And amazingly, they didn't rape my childhood memories, as I feared they would.
It had several moments that were really well done. I thought the effects were good, and most of the elements worked well. They of course, made changes to the Joe character backgrounds (who didn't see that coming?) some of them worked and some didn't. But it didn't change the overall feel and was still true to the original basics---two military/sci-fi combat teams fighting on a regular basis.

There were some cheesy moments that I thought could have been a little better. But they kept the story and action moving and it didn't get too bogged down in trying to learn everything about every character. Obivously, they wrote the story with a sequel in mind--the title is "the rise of Cobra" after all, hinting at the fact that this is just the first movie. So, they may flesh out the characters more in the next episode. Anything that we didn't like will probably be fixed too. And I'd probably go to see the sequel. Well, I'm sure they made a ton of money with it this weekend. And sold many many toys too. With a whole new generation hooked on G.I. Joe. So, that's my opinion/review. What did you guys think about the movie? Also, this was not the only movie I saw this weekend. More on that movie next. :)

No comments: