August 9, 2009

Julie & Julia

On Saturday, I spent a lovely afternoon with my mom. We had a great lunch, got caught up on our lives and then saw "Julie & Julia." It is fantastic. Look, I know it's been round the clock G.I. Joe around here lately. And I thought G.I. Joe (which I saw on Sunday) was good---but "Julie & Julia" is excellant. Why?!?! You ask. Well here goes...
First, there is the comfortably hot Chris Messina. As Julie's husband Eric---he spends most of the movie in clothes (rats) and still comes off as the hot modern nerd. Mmmmm.
There is a shirtless scene with him but, the shot seen here of his perky buns is unfortunately from some other movie he did. But maybe that's for the better.
Because just like all the food shots we see in this film that will make your mouth water---you'll also drool all over yourself imagining this dreamy man in your bed.
Next we have Amy Adams as Julie, who is the insecure blogger wanting to be heard, wanting to move beyond her horrible job and follow her dream as a writer. This should be obvious why all the other bloggers and myself relate to her yearnings. And of course there is the incredible, untouchable Meryl Streep as American cooking icon Julia Child. Julia was an amazing, husky voiced, laughing, lovable woman, with a zest for life and a personality as large as she was tall. And Meryl brings to life all of these traits with her usual perfection. Many times although Amy and co are great, you can't wait for Meryl's next scene. That's no slight on the other actors---that's just the truth for any actor sharing a film with Meryl Streep. I could watch her open an envelope--AND IN FACT---I did. She does it more then once in the film and it will make you laugh. Another actress would have done it---and it would have brought nothing to the film. Meryl turns it into a revealing yet funny moment of character.
Then there is the food, DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. I didn't. We ate a great lunch of healthy Chinese food and within the first five mintues of the movie I was licking my lips thinking "ooooohhhh, that looks so GOOD! mmmmm.)
And then there is Stanley Tucci as Julia's husband Paul Child. Stanley was great in "The Devil wears Prada" with Meryl and he's great here too. I totally agree with Stephen on this one... http://stephenrader.blogspot.com/2009/08/you-are-butter-to-my-bread-and-breath.html
Stanley is one hot daddy hunk. He comes off so charming and so sweet and so sexy. And in a genuine way--not "chick flick romantic comedy" way. He comes off real. And it's easy to see why Julia fell in love with him.
And this movie will make you either want to learn to be a better cook, or learn to appreciate food more, or maybe both, or maybe find a hot sexy ass chef to do some late night cooking with.
Anyway, go forth and see this movie. Yeah, there are no superheroes or explosions or Cobras or naked men. But it's a beautiful film, that's fun and funny, it will put a smile on your face. And for myself it was the icing on the cake of a relaxing afternoon with my mom. So, if you haven't spent some time with your mom---this is the perfect time and movie to take her to. You'll both love it. :)

1 comment:

LUCIEN said...

Great and Fun Movie - it charms you
And makes you crave BUTTER !