February 10, 2010

It's the Wednesday mini dance par-TAY!

It's Sinitta's cover of "Hitchin' a Ride." I briefly mentioned Sinitta last week (her song "Toy Boy") as she too was produced by the same team that did early Kylie Minogue and Rick Astley. Sinitta is one of those American singers who had to go to the United Kingdom to find fame and fortune. She is virtually unknown in the USA which is a shame. But in the UK, Sinitta is still a star and in 2009 was a judge on Simon (American Idol) Cowell's "X-factor" show (you can see clips on youtube of her and Simon with the contestants at his L.A. home, and other clips from the show) maybe she'll be featured here when Simon brings X-factor to America next season. I first saw/heard her music thanks to an "A & E" special in the early 90's about european dance music. She was featured and interviewed in it, along with the Pet Shop Boys and others, and I fell in love with her sound. I had to search high and low to find a copy of her album "wicked" which was a few years old by then but it had this track along with other great songs from that album. This song takes me back to high school as I bopped down the halls listening her music. It's so full of energy and great cover version of a pure pop song from the 60's. I was the only guy in school (and probably a 500 mile radius) who knew about Sinitta. And hearing the British sound at that time made me long for more Brit-pop and started me on a love affair with all things British. Now if I can just find her greatest hits on itunes. Have a listen yourself while browsing, and try not to dance in your chair too much ;)

No comments: