December 7, 2009

Lambda DC closing

Sigh, I was just reading on the "towleroad" that the "Lambda Rising" store in DC will be closing in early January. This store has been part of DC gay life for 35 years. The owner feels that it's original "mission" has been "accomplished" and it's time to close. I know this is not a new trend, other Lambda stores across the country have been closing for years (thanks to the ease of internet shopping and large bookstore chains having tiny gay and lesbian sections) but, it's still sad to see it go. This store was the first place I was taken to by my first gay friend, when I was looking for answers to all the questions I had about gay culture/dating/coming out/everything. I was clueless. My friend had been in therapy when he came out in college but, I wasn't interested in that. I wanted to research and explore it on my own. But I did need some tools. The internet wasn't so handy for me at that time, so I wanted books which I could refer to as needed. I remember walking into Lambda for the first time and how odd it felt. To be in a store where sooo much variety of gay interests were on display and no one cared about me actually being gay. It was a non issue. Much like the first time I went to a gay bar. After a while I felt really comfortable and at ease, browsing through all the subjects. The only downside at the bookstore for the first time, was being a little creeped out by the older guys looking me over like I was fresh meat. I hadn't experienced that in such full force before. But I got used to it. I bought 3 books that day. And came back over the years for other books, magazines, cds, magnets, one of those pens where the cop's uniform comes off when you turn it upside down, and my favorite thing to get there---funny birthday and Christmas cards. I'm going to have to go there one more time for cards before it closes for good. A few weeks ago the "Blade" newspaper had also folded but, the staff launched a new local gay paper, the "DC Agenda." So, maybe another gay bookstore will take it's place too. We'll see.

No comments: