August 27, 2010

Former Blue Power Ranger, David Yost, comes out: "I walked off the set after being called 'faggot' too many times"...

News story from gay news site "towelroad" link in the side bar... In a three-part interview, David Yost, who played the Blue Power Ranger in the popular kids program Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers, says he is gay, and discusses anti-gay harassment he suffered on set. Scroll down for part 3 of the interview where he talks about it...
... I always suspected he was gay myself back then. On the show his character had a quality that was sweet and kind----clearly his own gentle quality showing through the acting. Many comments on youtube from fans saying that for a kids show that taught moral lessons and unity, it's disgusting that he got this kind of treatment from the producers. Thankfully, he's happily now working behind the camera for various shows and seems as sweet as I remember him. Wow! And an actual gay superhero too! Discrimination on the job is still out there in America, we've all felt it at times or come face to face with it---I know I have. But don't forget we do have protections and options. Equal Employment, Lambda Legal and the ACLU, to name a few, that will gladly take on any employer, big or small who discriminates or stands by and does nothing while employees discriminate. So use them, if you're in need of help. You can check out parts 1 and 2 of David's interview about his Power Ranger days and current career on youtube and the link at the beginning of this post.

2 comments:

Andy said...

This actually made me say "HOLY SHIT" really loud lol. Thank you for posting this! I can't wait to tell everyone I know lol.

Avenjer said...

LOL! Yeah, I know the feeling. You're welcome Andy.